04 September 2023

Review #24 LAST KNIGHTS (2015, Kazuaki Kiriya)

 

Last Knights

* *

Forced to execute his beloved master, a noble warrior dedicates his life to fighting back against the corrupt and sadistic ruler who put him in that fateful position.

Starring  Clive Owen, Morgan Freeman, Cliff Curtis, Aksel Hennie, Peyman Moaadi

Written by  Michael Konyves, Dove Sussman

Produced by  Luci Kim   

Duration  115 minutes   

 




(Ring ring, ring ring)

(Crunch crunch)  "Hello?"


"Oh, hello. Am I speaking to Mr Clive Owen?"


(Crunch crunch)  "
Yeah."  (Crunch crunch)  "Who’s this, then?"


"This is Morgan Freeman."


"Actual Morgan Freeman?"  (Crunch crunch, swallow)  "Really?"


"Yes, really, Clive. How are you?"


"Fucking hell, I mean, hold on a sec."  (Beat)  "Sorry Morgan, I was just watching the footie and munching on some Doritos."


(Chuckles)  "
Ah yes, you Cockneys and your association soccer."


"Ha, actually I’m from Coventry, mate. In the Midlands?"


"Is that so? You know, Clive, I recall that when we were shooting THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, Christian, Tom and Michael would often watch Fox Soccer between setups."


"Oh yeah? Nolan as well?"


"No, Christopher was usually busy, chatting to Wally about the lighting or whatnot. Anyway, at the time, they were broadcasting a documentary series on Liverpool Footballing Club, narrated by yours truly."


"Yeah, that was me. Liverpool, they’re my team, mate." 


"So, you’re one of those ... ‘Scousers’? Like John Lennon?"


(Chuckles)  "
No, Coventry’s nowhere near Liverpool."


"Oh, but I thought you Englishmen had a ‘support your nearest franchise’ attitude to sports?"


"Er, yeah, well ... um ... Listen, sorry Morgan mate, but how can I help you exactly?"


"Sorry, Clive, I’ll cut to the chase. I'm calling about this script my agent has given me, THE LOST KNIGHT."


"Oh yeah, right. No, I think it’s actually called LAST KNIGHT ... I think."


"Oh, I see, right."


"Like ABOUT LAST NIGHT, but I don’t think we’re gonna be seeing Demi Moore or Rob Lowe in it. Yeah, I just got off the phone with my own agent about booking me onto a Czech Airlines flight."


"So then, what I’m told is true and you’re attached?"


"Right, yeah I am, that’s right. Are you doing it and all?"


"Well, this is why I’m calling you and interrupting your soccer, Clive. Sorry, ‘football’."


"Oh yeah?"


"Yes, I’d like to talk about the script. I can’t make my mind up about whether I should do this movie or not. I have a few questions – would it be any bother if I ran through them with you, Clive?"


"No, Morgan mate, no bother at all. Go for it. It’s half-time now, anyway."


Morgan Freeman and Clive Owen in Last Knights


"Clive, I'm much obliged. So, would I be right in assuming that you’re taking the lead role, this character ‘Raiden’?"


"Raiden, yeah that’s the fellah. Like off of that arcade game, MORTAL KOMBAT, the geezer with the hat that did the lightning. You remember that game, Morgan?"


"No, Clive, I'm afraid I do not."


"‘Finish him!’"


"I’m afraid I have no idea what you’re talking about."


(Chuckles)  "
Never mind."


"So can I just ask, Clive."


"Anything, Morgan mate, anything."


"What attracted you to the part? And the script in general?"


(Exhales)  "
Well, I did KING ARTHUR back in the day and that was a bit of a laugh. Riding on a horse and swinging a sword about and that. Plus, I’ve never been to the Czech Republic and it’ll make a change from bloody Bulgaria, where they film everything these days."


"True, Clive, so true."


"Did you know there's a nightclub in Prague with five floors? Apparently, you can get the best absinthe in Europe there. It’s at the end of that bridge they have, what’s it called, the famous one. I dunno."


"I see. But the movie, Clive."


"Oh yeah, right."


"Was there anything about the script that made you think that you have to do this project?"


"Well ... I dunno, really. It seemed alright, from what I can remember. No worse than a lot of the shit that comes my way these days. What’ve you been offered, second lead?"


"Well, it's a character called ‘Bartock’."


"Oh right, yeah. Um, remind me, what’s his deal then?"


"He’s Raiden’s mentor and father figure."


"Oh yeah, right! Don't you get killed off early doors? Wait ... don't I have to stab you to death or something, like under coercion or whatever
?"


(Chuckles)
  "Yes, I do fall by your hand it would seem. It’s a little unclear as to why, though. I’ve offended someone ... and you’re under some kind of political pressure, as far as I can tell."


"Yeah, I did kinda zone out with all that plot stuff. Lot of bollocks about ‘honour’ and ‘how dare you besmirch my family’ and all that. I started to flick through, searching for the bloody battles!  (Chuckles)  The bloodier the better, as far as I'm concerned!"


"But do you think the audience will be following what's going on?"


"Probably not. They’ll probably be chugging a beer and skipping through to the violent bits, watching the thing at home on Netflix or whatever it’s on."


"I suppose you’re right, Clive. But there is ... something else."


"Oh yeah? Come on Morgan, spit it out mate."


"Well, the main thing I’m worried about is, this movie starts with me doing voiceover. Again!"


"Oh, come up Morgan, everyone loves your voiceovers. Christ, you were like my bloody role model, giving me the confidence to do that one for Liverpool when I wasn't sure I could pull it off. Honestly, mate!"


"That’s very kind, Clive."


"Straight up! Obviously SHAWSHANK and, oh mate, fucking MARCH OF THE PENGUINS? Are you having a laugh? But you know the absolute best for me? WAR OF THE WORLDS. Fucking nailed it, mate."


"I appreciate the kind words. But do you think that audiences are a little ... weary of hearing my voice by now?"


"No way. Never. That’s like asking would I ever get sick of watching Stevie Gerrard bang in 30-yard belters."


Clive Owen in Last Knights



"Hmm. I see your point. But, Clive, I know I exit the movie early, but I’m still concerned about how well the rest of the picture will come across. The screenplay is nearly 120 pages and it all seems rather bland and unimaginative; it’s definitely slow and quite confusing at times. I’m just not sure how much –"


(Crunch crunch) 
 "Mm-hmm, yeah, I see your point, mmm (crunch crunch) ."


"Clive, have you opened another packet of Doritos?"


(Crunch)
  "Mmm, yeah, sorry Morgan... they’re those Flaming Hot ones, know what I mean?"  (Crunch crunch)


"I see."


"Look, Morgan  (crunch) . The second half of the football’s about to start. I'm gonna level with you, mate. I don’t get offered a lot of lead roles these days. It’s not 2006 anymore, and I doubt I’m ever gonna get another Oscar nomination. Fucking should have won it for CLOSER, can't remember which twat beat me to it."


"That would have been me, Clive."


"Oh fuck, was it?"


"Yes, for MILLION DOLLAR BABY."


"Shit, that’s right. Bollocks. And well-deserved too, mate. Shit ... er, sorry about the language."


"That’s quite alright. You still have plenty of time. I was nearly 70 when I finally won that statue, you know."


"Yeah, well like I say, I'm not so sure I’m ever gonna make it onto one of them podiums again. But anyway, so yeah, I open up a script like this THE LAST KNIGHTS or whatever the fuck it’s called, and I think, horses? Swords? Free holiday in Eastern Europe? Fuck it – why not?"


(Beat)


"Clive, just tell me one thing."


(Crunch crunch)  "
Morgan mate – anything."


"Did you really say five floors?"


"My cousin was over there for his mate’s stag do ... er, bachelor party. What he actually called the place was, and I’m quoting directly here, he said it was ‘five floors of whores’. Apparently it’s fucking mental. The whole city, in fact."


(Long beat)


"Morgan? You still there, mate?"  (Crunch)


"Clive, I’m going to think all this over, but I reckon I might just be asking you to count me in on that first round of absinthe."


"Ah, that’s the spirit, Morgan mate!"


"Enjoy the rest of your game and good luck to the Liverpool."


"Cheers Morgan, it’s fucking Man U so we need to beat these bastards."


"So long, Clive."


"See you in Prague, mate."  (Crunch crunch)


(Click)


Two stars out of five.



Valid use of the word ‘last’?  Not as such. I didn’t get the impression that there would be no further knights subsequent to the events on show.


What would a movie called FIRST KNIGHTS be about?
  What about a double-bill of British writer/director Steven Knight’s first screenplay credits, GYPSY WOMAN (starring Jack Davenport) and DIRTY PRETTY THINGS (Chiwetel Ejiofor, Audrey Tautou)?



Previously:  THE LAST TIME I SAW PARIS

Next time: 
STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI 


Check out my books:  Jonathanlastauthor.com


No comments:

Post a Comment